Country musician savagely attacked, fighting for his life

A California country music guitarist is fighting for his life after he was brutally assaulted in May. Jason Lawless, known as Jay to his friends, was so badly injured he couldn’t even communicate during his first three weeks in hospital, his best friend Jacqueline Jacobs has said. Jacobs hosted a GoFundMe fundraiser. His friends held a benefit concert at the Gaslamp Restaurant & Bar in Long Beach, Calif., on Thursday.

Lawless, 35, returned home to Westminster, Calif., on May 27 with serious head and facial injuries. “His eye sockets inside and out are broken, his nose is broken, his cheekbones are broken, his jaw is broken,” Jacobs said. ABC7 June 14. “They knocked out all of his teeth.”

Details of the crime remain unknown, said Westminster Police Department Detective Henry Tran. city ​​news service June 16. Deputy Chief Cameron Knauerhaze added that they believe the attack may have happened between the 5500 block of Garden Grove Boulevard and the 13000 block of Springdale Street. The first inquest was difficult because Lawless’s injuries prevented him from describing what had happened.

“Someone knows something and must have the courage to come forward and help us investigate this case,” Knauerhaze said. CNS. “Mr. Lawless has a long road to recovery and he deserves justice in this case. Any information can help.”

On the GoFundMe page, Jacobs wrote that Lawless was “met with the most violent force imaginable.” At least two men attacked Lawless with “baseball bats or the like”, according to Jacobs. They left Lawless beaten “within an inch of his life”, but Lawless still managed to find the power to return home. Lawless’ mother then called 911 and he was rushed to hospital.

Jacobs also listed all the injuries Lawless suffered. “Unfortunately, he suffered an unknown amount of brain damage and hemorrhages due to the blunt force trauma to the frontal lobe (forehead). Both of his orbits (eye sockets) are broken front and back,” said she writes. Lawless’ jaw, nose, cheekbones, ribs, fingers and knuckles are broken. Nearly all of his teeth were knocked out and he suffered “an unknown amount of lung damage”, as well as a bruised lumbar and cervical spine.

In a June 21 update, Jacobs said Lawless is recovering. He still has an IV in his arm and rubber bans in his mouth after jaw reconstruction surgery. He has started “saying words we can understand” and is also undergoing occupational therapy, physiotherapy and speech therapy every day. His nurse and doctors also help him get up and walk. Brett Davis, another friend of Lawless, wrote on Facebook that the musician “is no longer in critical condition but in very harsh disgrace”.

Nearly 500 people donated over $36,800 to help Lawless on GoFundMe. His friends are also hosting a benefit concert at the Gaslamp Restaurant & Bar in Long Beach. Tickets are $20 and all proceeds will go to help Lawless. The concert begins Thursday, July 7 at 5:30 p.m. PT.